BMT’s structural design services include;
- Concept and feasibility studies
- Advice on material specifications
- Design to Class and management of Class approval
- First principles calculations
- Load prediction
- Finite Element Analysis
- Local and global structural optimisation
- 3D solid and surface modelling
- Mould and plant design
- Laminate schedules
- Production design drawings
- Weight engineering and control
- Engineering audits, consultancy and troubleshooting
- Design to small craft codes
- Refit and repair
- On-site build and engineering support
Our structural design experience ranges from small composite production designs through to large steel and aluminium vessels that are dominated by complex global loads. Married with our heritage in the design of high speed commercial and naval craft we are leaders in the field of lightweight and robust aluminium structures.
Having worked with all the major Classification societies BMT brings significant depth of knowledge and a record of achieving full Class approvals in the most efficient and effective manner. With each Class society having its own particular nuances BMT has the insight required to engage Class in educated debate at the appropriate junctions to ensure that designs are not encumbered with redundant, heavy and expensive features.
With many naval architecture offices and smaller shipyards choosing to subcontract structural design services we provide specialist structural engineering to a wide ranging client base, often including our competitors in other disciplines. For larger shipyards we offer a pool of flexible resource available to work in-yard as demand requires.
So whether engaged as a single source structural designer or acting to reinforce a client’s existing team BMT provides a skilled, flexible and scalable service enabling our clients to confidently bid, execute and deliver the most challenging and complex projects.